[time-nuts] Are there SC-crystals out there in the wild that are not Overtone?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 27 19:07:40 UTC 2020

On 2/27/20 8:45 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> OTOH, you could build a simple Colpitts
> oscillator and see where it oscillates.
> That's what they did back in the dark
> ages.
>
> Any time nut should be up for that.
>
> Rick N6RK

But does a deForest Audion (ref Colpitts patent 1624537 1918) have
enough gain at 5 or 10 MHz?

I guess so, by 1930 deForest was selling oscillators and receivers at
15,000 kilocycles. Although I didn't see any indication of crystal
oscillators - they're all LC tuned. (One mention of crystal control is
in an article about a SW crystal controlled Transmitter by Lester
Spangenberg)

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-News/30s/Radio-News-1930-05-R.pdf

(Timenuts - your experience and training probably qualifies you for a
job in Radio-Television - Talking Pictures, see the ads!)

I seem to recall that crystals for frequency control (on a commercial
basis) were sort of a post WW2 thing (partly because of developments in
piezo hydrophones for sonar)