[time-nuts] Are there SC-crystals out there in the wild that are not Overtone?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 28 14:33:24 UTC 2020

On 2/28/20 2:34 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 08:45:16 -0800
> "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com> wrote:
>
>> OTOH, you could build a simple Colpitts
>> oscillator and see where it oscillates.
>> That's what they did back in the dark
>> ages.
>>
>> Any time nut should be up for that.
>
> Yes, but how many of us can build a time-nuts quality oscillator?
> I'm still lacking that paper/book that teaches me how to build
> a high stability oscillator.

I think to a large extent that is more art than science. High
performance electronics (low noise, high stability, mass production, you
name it) is always a combination of tradeoffs of non-ideal behavior,
much of which is not necessarily modelable in a systems sense. So the
trades get made by "gut feel" developed from experience.

Driving along that path a bit further, the really fundamental
improvements come when someone figures out how to get better performance
without needing art and skill.  Movable type brought the written word to
everyone. Offset printing brought high quality image reproduction to the
masses. Silicon lithography brought computation to all of us.

> I have a couple of 5MHz 3rd OT SC cut crystals in HC-37 case sitting
> in a box, waiting to be used as some oscillator, I just lack the knowledge
> to make good use of them.

Experiment. Build a fet or MMIC oscillator and see how it works.