[time-nuts] What’s the BEST crystal?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 29 18:44:59 UTC 2020

Hi

More than the cut, the packaging, resonator design, mount design, and processing of the crystal
(in no particular order ) are what really make this or that crystal suitable for use in a precision OCXO.
You can indeed find AT cut OCXO’s that do pretty well once they warm up ….

One wonders what the result would be of doing a large blank (> 50mm) 2.5 MHz 5th OT using modern
design, packaging and mounting techniques. Given that it would take a rather large pile of nickels to
find out (like > $50M worth), I very much doubt we ever will know the answer.

Bob