[time-nuts] PC Time Servers

Kevin Rowett kevin at rowett.org
Wed Jan 1 04:12:39 UTC 2020

Richard,

Faros uses a precise time of day to determine the time it took for the beacon signal to reach your location.  It uses this info to determine if the path was the short path, or the long path.

The NCDXF beacons use a GPS receiver to determine a very accurate time of day, and to start their transmission at a precise time.  Faros looks at the clock time when it hears the signal arriving at the receiver it’s listening with. It knows the exact location of the transmitter and your exact location.  Form there, it can calculate the spherical distance, both the “short path” and the “long path”.  With the distance known, and the delay in receiving the signal, Faros can then determine if the signal arrived at your location via the short path, or the long path (or both!).

Faros gets the correct time of day, by using it’s own built in NTP.  It has a list of NTP servers, and it uses the NTP algorithm to determine the “delay” to that server.  Faros ranks the quality of the NTP servers by delay.

An interesting experiment is to tell Faros a location that’s much different than where it’s receive really is located.

KR