[time-nuts] time-nut conferences.

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sat Jan 4 00:06:47 UTC 2020

Hi Attila,

On 2020-01-03 23:53, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 10:01:45 -0800
> Jeffrey Pawlan <pawlan at runbox.com> wrote:
>
>> I am a very long time IEEE member of UFFS and I plan to go to the EFTF
>> at the ESA center in Holland in April.  For some strange reason I also
>> see that UFFS is having a EFTS conference in Besancon, France. and then
>> there will be a IFCS - ISAF conference in Keystone, Colorado in July.
> Neither EFTF nor EFTS are UFFC or even IEEE events.
> EFTF is the European Frequency and Time Forum. Kind of the European
> counter part to PTTI. EFTF and IFCS have a joint converence every
> second year (in odd years).
I think it is good that they have common conferences, it helps with
cross-polination.

> EFTS (European Frequency and Time Seminar) is a seminar/summer school
> organized by Enrico Rubiola. It's a one week seminar on the basics of
> time keeping and time/freuquency measurements.

Highly recommended!

> And for completeness, there is also the NIST Time and Frequency Seminar,
> which is very similar to EFTS.
Highly recommended!

Yes, EFTS is more like the European version of the NIST Seminar, much
younger, but with a very very good selection of tutors. I've been to
both, and they are both good, maybe somewhat different focus. In
general, for PhDs into the field of time and frequency, atomic clocks
etc, at least one of them should be attended early, to get them started.

PTTI used to be the USNO organized event, but it has been turned over to
ION which is relevant for navigation etc. I've heard rumours that it is
fading for the benefit of IFCS and EFTF, but I do not know. I've not
been to PTTI and I will not make it to this years conference.

>> I will come to Holland (Netherlands) in April to attend the conference
>> at the ESA center in Noordwijk.  If you or others will be attending,
>> then we must meet in person.
> The usual supects at EFTF and IFCS are Magnus Danielson, Anders Walin,
> Enrico Rubiola and me.
I would like to add that Prof. François Vernotte is another one of those
attending these regularly. From NIST you usually find people at these
conference.
>  Marek Peca also used to come to EFTF, but I
> haven't seen or heard of him in a while.
Indeed. I think it's some time since I saw Guliermo, 2016.
>  Other time-nuts that have
> been at IFCS/EFTF are Ole Petter Ronningen and Javier Serano.
> Javier usually comes, when he has something to present and Ole if his
> wife permits it ;-)

Ole comes when I have tricked him to submit something... but now he
seems hooked. :)

I need to figure out what I will send into IFCS.

For telecom sync, the conferences is the european ISTF and north
american WSTS (NIST/ATIS supported), then there is the ISPCS.

Cheers,
Magnus