[time-nuts] low phase noise, noise floor and noise figure amplifier at 400MHz

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 10 02:01:55 UTC 2020

On 1/9/20 5:38 PM, Lifespeed wrote:
> Hi Time Nuts,
>

> I have a need for a low phase noise, noise floor and noise figure amplifier
> at 400MHz.  I have tried some off-the-shelf 50 ohm amplifiers, the best of
> which degrades phase noise by a couple dB.  I'm working with a signal with
> -172dBc/Hz PN, so not much tolerance for degradation here.  The input signal
> level is only 3dBm, so noise figure still matters as well.  I'm looking for
> 15dB gain, 16dBm P1.  The residual phase noise would have to be better than
> -180dBc/Hz, and I would probably operate the amplifier slightly compressed.

So you've tried something like the minicircuits CMA-5043? 18dB gain,
0.75 dB NF, P1dB 18dBm

They've got a whole raft of 0.5dB NF with 20+ dB gain, P1dB in the 17-19
dBm range - SAV-331, SAV-541, etc.

 From the graphs, the NF is down around 0.3 dB below 500 MHz, if you
keep it reasonably cool (25C.. +85 the NF goes up)

If you need lower than that, I can ask around about discrete designs.
There's some group in Norway that is using FETs from Switzerland and
getting L band noise temps in the single digit Kelvin range. (without
cryocooling).  I don't know if it would go down to UHF and hold that
performance