[time-nuts] Fwd: Racal SA500 frequency standard

Jeroen Bastemeijer pe1rge at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 11:21:34 UTC 2020

Dear Time-nuts,

I have been following the list for a number of years from the sideline.
A lot of interesting discussions taking place. I'm sending this mail,
because I'm looking for some information on the RACAL SA500 frequency
standard.

The RACAL SA500 is part of the RACAL MA259 system. It consists of a 5MHz
reference oscillator and a backup battery unit. Recently I acquired the
complete oscillator and a partial backup battery unit.

During the Holidays I powered up the oscillator from my lab power
supply. The unit seems to be working almost fine. A very nice (on the
spectrum analyzer) 5 MHz signal comes out. When checking the readings on
the meter, most readings are approximately okay. However, the
temperature setting moves the meter below zero, so there is a small
error somewhere.

The SA500 looks a bit like the Sulzer 5MHz standards. For the MA259
system a manual can be found on the KO4BB website. However, this manual
is for the old type of reference, with the "analog" frequency dividers.
The unit I have is much more modern, with logic-ICs instead of transistors!

Now I'm looking for schematics, or even better, a service-manual for
this modernized MA259. The PCB-boards inside are labelled "RACAL".

I hope someone has a PDF of the manual, or can provide a pointer to the
correct manual. Most manuals/schematics available seem to be the same as
the document from KO4BB.

For identification, I include some pictures.

Thank you for your time & help.

Best regards, Jeroen Bastemeijer