[time-nuts] low phase noise, noise floor and noise figure amplifier at 400MHz

Lifespeed lifespeed at claybuccellato.com
Fri Jan 10 17:40:41 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at lists.febo.com] On Behalf Of John
Miles
Sent: Thursday, January 9, 2020 10:23 PM
To: 'Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement'
<time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] low phase noise, noise floor and noise figure
amplifier at 400MHz

You could take a look at the approach behind the option-K22 amplifiers that
were sold by HP for use with the 3048A.  I've got one of those but I needed
a couple more of them at one point, so I built some (literally) quick and
dirty copies with BFG591 transistors with good results.

I've mentioned them before on here, I think.  There are a few photos and
plots at http://www.ke5fx.com/k22.htm .  Basically a CE amplifier with an
LED-referenced bias stage originally suggested by Bruce Griffiths.

A single stage won't deliver the gain you're after, but these amplifiers are
relatively well-behaved and can be cascaded at will.  That was the original
intent with the K22, which consisted of two independent amps in one box.  If
you want to use the K22 amps to keep oscillators from injection locking, you
pretty much have to cascade them due to lack of reverse isolation.  The
homebrew hack job is similar to the HP original in most respects including
that one.

I'd be inclined to use a dual-emitter part (BUF590G) instead of the BUF590Q,
if I were building more of these.

-- john, KE5FX
Thanks for the info.  While I have fond memories of using the HP3048 phase
noise measurement system early in my career, a review of the data indicate
the K22 does not meet my requirements.