[time-nuts] Low Phase Noise Amplifiers

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 16:27:37 UTC 2020

FWIW, at the Arecibo Observatory all our cryogenic LNAs had bias stabilized
with active stabilizers based on opamps.  Since the opamps do not work at
~15K,
bias connections to the drain and gate of the RF FETs were brought out
separately
from the RF connections, and the opamp circuitry was at room ambient temp.
This approach would nicely stabilize both drain DC voltage and drain
current over
the whole temperature range from room ambient to 15K, which was handy for
testing and monitoring LNA behavior during cool-down, which takes several
hours
(or more).

Dana