[time-nuts] 5065A phase-noise

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sun Jan 12 14:04:14 UTC 2020

Fellow time-nuts,

It was brought to my attention that I should have some illustrative
plot, so therefore I attach it here.

Let me walk you through the plot.

First of all, I use the cross-correlation technique of the TimePod, so
the Notes contains list of which references I used. While you can
measure under the references, further down the harder it is to get away
from the coloring and get decent precision. That is why I have been
measuring through potential sources to come up suitable sources. Which
is best depends on what measure one uses, so for ADEV stability other
sources may be better. For phase-noise measures, I currently prefer the
OSA8600 and OSA8601 pair that I've used before. Both being AT-cut BVAs.
The EFOS10 match up to these when pulling the serial link.

You find the OSA8600 trace with EFOS10 and OSA8601 as reference as the
green trace. It is in the plot as reference and you see that it is
quieter most of the times, except in the far out noise where it is about
the same, so we are not really challenging the measurment there.

I have three 5065A, so I denote them 5065-1 and 5065-2 just to keep them
apart. The 5065-1 has the 10811 based 05065-6097 retrofit, while the
5065-2 has the traditional 00105-6013 oscillator.

The 5065-1 trace is the blue trace. As we walk it from the high
frequencies you see that it has unusually high white noise floor, which
I noted my posting. It stays flat until we come down to about 20 Hz, at
which times it turns upwards and then goes into a white frequency
modulation as it gets captured by the control-loop of the rubidium, we
would otherwise expect a flicker frequency modulation there, more on
that further down.

The 5065-2 trace is the pink trace. As we walk it from the high
frequencies it has an OK far out noise, about the same as the BVA. At 1
kHz it folds up into the flicker phase modulation which continues at
about 10 Hz into a white frequency modulation.

The 5065-2OL trace is the red trace. This is the 5065-2 turned into
open-loop, at which time you have the EFC locked and the oscillator and
output buffers is what you measure. As we walk it from the high
frequencies, we have exactly the same properties as when the loop is
closed until we come down to 10 Hz where you see the traces separate and
the OL variant goes into flicker frequency modulation.

The 5065-2OL trace is an illustration of Leeson model, and it seems like
the Leeson knee is about 10 Hz. The 5065 loop bandwidth also seems to be
about 10 Hz. However, the slope is confusing as it is kind of halfway
between flicker phase modulation and white frequency modulation.

Now, while these measures is performed not on the oscillator itself but
oscillator and output buffers, unless something is wrong with output
buffers on either box, the output buffer noise seems to support good
enough flicker and white noise to support the output of both
oscillators. Then running with that assumption it seems like the
00105-6013 has excess flicker noise issue while the 05065-6097 has
excess white noise.

The 05065-6097 has a really crap square squaring that may be the
explanation for the white noise behavior. I'll see if I can't tap the
pure 10 MHz and measure that, it should be better.

So, I hope this illustration was helpful.

Cheers,
Magnus