[time-nuts] Low Phase Noise Amplifiers

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 01:06:26 UTC 2020

Lifespeed,

The cryogenic amplifiers were used in very broadband situations (often
hundreds of MHz
BW) with "signals" that were basically noise.  Most radio astronomy lies in
the art of
measuring very small *changes *in noise level, such as between pointing at
an object of
interest or pointing away from it at a known quiet spot in the nearby sky.
So we are talking
about radiometry, where the "Radiometer Equation" rules.  In this game, the
best results
are had by using the widest possible RF/IF BW, then running the noise into
a square law
detector, then passing the output of the detector through a very low BW
filter.

I mention the above because I suspect it means that phase noise in the
predetection part
of the path has little of no effect (unless, of course, there is a strong
signal lurking not
far outside the IF passband).  To my knowledge, we've never tried to
measure phase
noise of any of the cryogenic amplifiers.

Our LNAs mostly have noise temperatures in the range of 2K to 3K, which is
roughly
0.03 to 0.04 dB NF.

Dana