[time-nuts] Microstepper

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 14 15:46:05 UTC 2020

Hi

The closer the beat note / spur / crud is to carrier, the bigger its effect on things
like ADEV and other timing issues. Indeed 97 KHz is pretty far out compared to
most of what people worry about. It is also quite far compared to the PLL bandwidth
of just about anything you normally would attach to a standard.

One would *guess* that the level of the spur would be same / same at lower IF
frequencies. If for some obscure reason the level changes, that could be an issue.
Maybe it gets lower :)

The rest of tthe argument gets into “nice numbers”. Cutting the IF in half would get you
into parts in 10^-18. From a round numbers standpoint, that has a *lot* of appeal.
Does it actually help in what you will be using the device for? The answer will
always be “that depends on what I’m doing ….”.

Bob