Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 14 19:07:32 UTC 2020

Hi

Backing off a bit, there are a *lot* of different OCXO’s out there. Some will hold a few
ppb for months in terms of aging. Others will age that much in a day. Some will be good
to < 0.01 ppb due to room temp changes. Others will move fractions of a ppm.

On top of that, some OCXO’s have (several) PPM of tune range on the EFC and others
may have a hundredth of that range. In some cases the “tight range” lines up with a good
stability part. In other cases … not so much.

Trying to come up with *one* DAC setup that works for every OCXO out there is going to
get into heavy duty overkill on a lot of those OCXO. All of this before we even get into things
like noise out of the DAC.

=====

In a lot of cases, some form of biassed attenuator between the EFC and the DAC is a pretty
good idea. Assuming this is a basement project, tuning that up is not a big deal. Re-visiting
the tuning in a year or five also should not be that big a deal. Indeed just how you do up
an EFC attenuator is a bit of a can of worms, but there are ways to do it. You can save quite
a bit on your DAC this way ….. (and improve performance …).

Bob