[time-nuts] 1 pps Accuracy in two locations

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 16 01:53:22 UTC 2020

VLA and ALMA aren't exactly VLBI - they're all in the same (general)
place and they distribute LO and timing signals to all the antennas.

Larry D'Addario, recently retired from JPL and now down at Caltech,
described the setup at ALMA in 2009 - He's talking 1 microsecond, maybe
100 nanoseconds.

https://library.nrao.edu/public/memos/alma/memo298.pdf

A more recent reference for ALMA (2018) describes a scheme using pairs
of lasers which are transmitted via fiber heterodyned at the user end to
regenerate a Local Oscillator - that gives you good frequency accuracy,
but I don't know about absolute phase. They use fiber "line stretchers"
to compensate for the fiber delay.  But I didn't see a performance spec.
You can hunt if you like.

https://www.iram.fr/IRAMFR/ARC/documents/cycle6/ALMA_Cycle6_Technical_Handbook.pdf

  DSN does antenna arraying on receive as well. DSN uses fiber links in
temperature controlled pipes underground with two way measurements.
Calhoun 2007 gives a performance of about 1E-15 at 100 seconds, which is
0.1 ps.  But that's a pretty darn elaborate system (costing the
equivalent of many houses, I suspect, with Cryogenic Sapphire
Oscillators for cleanup loops)

M. Calhoun, S. Huang and R. L. Tjoelker, "Stable Photonic Links for
Frequency and Time Transfer in the Deep-Space Network and Antenna
Arrays," in Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. 1931-1946,
Oct. 2007.
doi: 10.1109/JPROC.2007.905048

For radio astronomy, one can do a lot of post processing to "back out"
the time shifts - if there's some bright source you can use that as a
focusing target. It's not like CygA or CasA are going to be moving
(other than from Earth rotation and movement)