[time-nuts] Odd-order multiplication of CMOS-output OCXO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jan 20 21:13:17 UTC 2020

Hi

I think you will find that some fairly generic oscillators will hit the “more or
less 1x10^-10” sort of spec needed for HF com work. A good OCXO will get
you into the 1x10^-12 range. The limit generally is the “floor” imposed by
propagation variance at HF.

Bob

> On Jan 20, 2020, at 3:50 PM, Mark Haun <mark at hau.nz> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 15:25:00 -0500
> Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 2020, at 2:57 PM, Mark Haun <mark at hau.nz> wrote:
>>> Agree except you were starting from the VFOV numbers for the 100-MHz
>>> version.  If you use their numbers for the 10-MHz version and add
>>> 20 dB for an ideal 10x multiplication, for comparing with the ABLNO
>>> spec at 100 MHz, you end up with
>>>
>>> offset    VFOV405 @ 10M, ideal 10x multiply     ABLNO @ 100 M
>>> 10        -100                                  -88
>>> 100       -120                                  -118
>>> 1k        -140                                  -141
>>> 10k       -145                                  -160