[time-nuts] Simple GPSDO Multiple Outputs - buffered line driver options?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 21 21:26:38 UTC 2020

Hi

If all you are doing is driving a 5335 and running at 1 second gate times, then there’s not
a lot to worry about. If indeed you are multiplying this or that up to X band for various purposes
then  ….. that’s different. Both are in the “hobbyist” range.

Spurs matter for some things and don’t matter much for others. A spur at -120 at 10 MHz
may be up around -60 db at 10 GHz. It might matter there … it might not. A -60 db spur
at 10 MHz gets into the “yikes” range if directly multiplied.

How big is your bench? How long are your feed cables? You are getting into a significant
fraction of a wavelength at 10’ of cable. If unterminated (and / or poorly shielded) it will spray
a bit of RF.

Lots of details and no single answer without digging deeper into what you are trying to do.

Bob