[time-nuts] Frequency standards for different tau in Allen Dev measurement

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 1 05:19:02 UTC 2020

I took several Adev measurements.  I would love to get senior time-nuts' opinion.

Retrace seems to be good, but results overall seems to be off.  As far as I know, they all should be 1 order of magnitude better. (hence line 5 experiment)

Setup:
They are all done with HP5370 feeding TimeLab every one second into Channel A.  It comes from GPSTM (modified).  External reference to HP5370 is Efratom PRFS-102.  Output is every 1 second.  Trigger point was carefully set.  That's common on every measurement.
1)  Dark Blue lineThis is a sort of "reference" line.  DUT is HP105B 5MHz output.  TimeLab is set to FREQUENCY mode.
2)  Pink lineThis is HP105B 5MHz output in INTERVAL measurement.  Channel A is connected to GPSTM (T-bolt) 1 pps line
3)  Green line
This is PRS-10 #1 10MHz output in INTERVAL measurement.  Channel A is connected to GPSTM (T-bolt) 1 pps line

4)  Red lineThis is PRS-10 #2 10MHz output in INTERVAL measurement.  Channel A is connected to GPSTM (T-bolt) 1 pps line

5)  Light Blue lineSame as #4 above except 1 pps is coming from FT/4040A through TAPR 1 pps converter unit
Questions:
I realize there are two "references" here.  One is a reference going into HP5370 external reference line.  Another is what's connected to channel A. (1 pps)  Right now, I have independent supplies.  I'm thinking I can use one 10MHz reference, split the line, one goes to ext ref, another goes to TAPR converter then goes to channel A.  My fear is, everything will now be in LOCK-STEP that I'd be manufacturing a result.  Is this allowed??
Blue vs pink:  everything is the same except for measuring method.  Blue line is frequency.  Pink line is T.I.  Seems blue line is getting a better result, except it has 60Hz interference.  Does this mean, even with this counter (which is not known for accuracy/resolution in frequency mode)  frequency method is superior?  Or is this averaging going on that the result is artificially better?  (like HP53132A)?

Another weirdness is, TI reading has very few digits.  XX.XX nS is the most I'd get. The counter's minimum resolution is 20pS, so the LSD is correct.  The period of 10MHz is 100nS.  So, MSD, too, makes sense.  But this is limiting dynamic range.  Would that mean input signal from DUT is too high?  Or, inversely, 1 pps into channel A is too low?  What can I do?  (other than spending $100K)

For this measurement, I didn't give FT/4040A enough warm up time.  It has been on for about 2 hours.  I usually give much more warm up time.  But at the same token, I do not want to keep this on, nor wait 2 days before starting measurements.
(I am accepting donation of HP5065A)

I used the best cable I have....  per advice of Bob.
(Mr.) Taka Kamiya
KB4EMF / ex JF2DKG