[time-nuts] What’s the BEST crystal?

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 21:05:18 UTC 2020

Hello Jim

>How does a CSO compare with a Mercury Ion clock - the latter does fit in
>a satellite and is intended to replace the USO kind of function.

The current CSOs can be surprisingly compact. I was visiting a university
colleague who had recently bought one from Cryoclock for use in quantum
computing experiments. The total package was about half a rack. One big
improvement has been moving to a closed cycle cooling system. It’s
difficult imagining it going into a spacecraft or satellite though.

Cheers
Michael