[time-nuts] What is the BEST crystal?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Mar 1 21:26:26 UTC 2020

Dana

The text merely indicates that Tolansky and Bardsley obtained these images in 1948.
The annular crystal was one of the NPL frequency standards of the time.

However, given that the fringes are multiple beam fringes, a high reflectivity electrode must lie on the top surface of the ring.

There are also a stroboscopic interferogram of an oscillating quartz plate, probably at a frequency below a few hundred kHz given that RF modulation of the mercury vapour source is ineffective above a few hundred kHz or so.

Bruce