[time-nuts] Newbie question about GPS

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Mon Mar 2 21:13:46 UTC 2020

On Montag, 2. März 2020 13:14:55 CET Anton Moehammad via time-nuts wrote:
>2. In the UCenter or almost any software
> control for GPS module/receiver we can find data for next pps, why if the
> software can calculate the PPS should be they do not use it to adjust the
> PPS output so the PPS jitter is minimal ?

There are no clocks in a GPS receiver with picoseconds resolution and
everything the GPS outputs will be naturally restricted to its internal clock
granularity. The time pulse signal from a Ublox module can therefore only be
accurate to tens of nanoseconds (around 20ns assuming an internal 48MHz
clock). However, the time solution calculated by the receiver will be much
better. The quantization error reported in the TP5 message can simply be added
to the timestamp of the received pulse to calculate its true arrival.

BR,
Matthias