[time-nuts] New Subscriber, DIY GPSDO project (yes, another one)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Mar 3 17:27:56 UTC 2020

Hi

Ideally in a digital control loop you want at least 2 “extra” bits past the
minimum required to hit your target accuracy. Things like noise, LSB
non-linearity, calculation roundoff, all drive that need. Indeed for a
low noise loop, you would push the margin out even further.

If your OCXO’s EFC is not perfectly linear (they never are) then it’s
“slope ratio” gets into the act. If the highest slope is 2X the lowest
(which is not uncommon), that will add another bit to the total.

Bob