[time-nuts] time-nuts no longer carried by GMane.io

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Mar 3 18:48:23 UTC 2020

To answer Achim's recent question (that's also been posed by others,
neither Tom nor I are fans of "list scraping" sites like gmane.org.
They offer convenience, but they also divert searches from the canonical
archive at lists.febo.com to their own archives, which may not be
complete.  Their archives also make it less likely that search engines
will return results from lists.febo.com.

And they add advertisements to the non-commercial time-nuts list content.

Additionally, gmane.org (and perhaps others) allows posting through its
site, which breaks our list management tools, and makes problems harder
to track.

It's pretty hard to stop these sites from subscribing and capturing our
content, and we're not inclined to try to prevent them.  But we don't
favor list-scrapers and prefer that people interact with the list directly.

Thanks,
Tom and John
----