[time-nuts] New Subscriber, DIY GPSDO project (yes, another one)

ew ewkehren at aol.com
Sun Mar 8 09:03:57 UTC 2020

The question was  How do you optimally tune the control loop time constant ?    Not being an expert I have been working off list with Jim Harman since he had worked with Lars. Early last year I posted test results of his first unit. Since Jim has tried several OCXO's.   In January he escaped the cold north to within 20 miles from me. We used the opportunity to calibrate his equipment and a run of his latest OCXO. The plot is attached. The loop time-constant is 1000 seconds. Taking a page from the SRS FS 740 we decided that 800 seconds would take advantage of GPS earlier. Since the AV did not slope up I do not think it negatively effected performance.
Bert Kehren