[time-nuts] Buying and using used Cesium Beam Standards

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Tue Mar 10 23:59:51 UTC 2020

I noted Skip Winthrow's message about the listing of a Cesium standard on
eBay.

I've had some questions generally about these used standards for some time
now, figured this was a good time to ask them.

So let's assume I buy a used unit in working condition.   I get it here, it
works fine, and everything is up to spec.   Let's also assume that I really
only need it operational a week or two a couple of times a year during
periods I'm doing measurements that require the stability of the Cesium
standard.

What is the best way to improve the odds that this used gear is
working properly when I need it?   I'm asking primarily because I know that
the cesium tube itself wears out, and replacing the tube does not often
make financial sense.   I guess I'm asking is if the 'wearout clock' on the
tube stops if the unit is powered off and is on the shelf, or if there's
something else one does to extend the life of these units.

All of the other questions I have are probably more in the category of "I'm
not sure what questions to ask".   I've owned/used/fixed a fair bit of used
test equipment over the years, but this seems to be in an entirely
different category.  I've never had any experience with these at all, so if
anyone would like to pontificate with any wisdom or experience in the
basics of acquiring and using a Cesium standard I'd appreciate it.

--
- Forrest