[time-nuts] Synchronisation of crystal oscillators

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Mar 11 01:52:44 UTC 2020

Hi

To “see” the zero beat, they have to be hooked to some sort of test gear.
It’s only going to have just so much isolation.

The fine old 3048 phase noise test set was pretty good at injection locking
the devices you were testing ….

Loaded Q on a “typical” 10 MHz OCXO is likely in the 500K range. Yes it
depends on the circuit and the crystal. That gets the 3db bandwidth out
into the ppm range. If you are getting anywhere near zero beat, you are
*well* within the 3db bandwidth.

Bob