[time-nuts] HP 5335A counter and GPIB control

Mark Haun mark at hau.nz
Thu Mar 12 22:32:05 UTC 2020

I don't know about the UGPlus, but if you are just getting set up for
GPIB then don't overlook the possibility of Ethernet-to-GPIB adapters.
Fewer location and cabling issues (you can even access your instruments
remotely if you should ever need to), and you can connect as many GPIB
instruments as you want to the same adapter, within reason.  You should
be able to pick up something like an E2050A for ~ $100.  Then you never
need to futz with poorly supported USB adapters again.  OTOH, there is
software which *expects* a USB-GPIB dongle... not sure if John Miles'
toolkit falls into that category or not.

This seems to be a minority opinion, so my situation may be unusual...
but I really like my E2050A, and the ease of doing everything from
python without that ugly/bloated VISA layer.

Mark