[time-nuts] GPS module recommendation for Pi timing

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 15:50:36 UTC 2020

If your product depends on monotonic times, there are a lot of good reasons
for using NTPD. It will slew the clock rather than jump it which can be
hugely important for many applications if there is some need for data to be
accumulated with monotonic timestamps. It will also apply good drift
correction for times when sky and satellites might not be visible (which in
terms of real world products is very common.

You prominently mention both milliseconds and TOD RTC. Note that all common
RTC chips (e.g. DS1307) only directly read out time to the previous second.
They do not read out directly for milliseconds although you can try to
interpolate based on seconds edge.

Tim N3QE