[time-nuts] GPS module recommendation for Pi timing

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Mar 13 20:14:13 UTC 2020

Thanks.

kb8tq at n1k.org said:
> One of the ways a GPS module “freaks out” is to slip by one code cycle
> (which is just slightly over 1 ms). If you have a surveyed location, some
> firmware will reject the solution and at least you will be in holdover.

If it slips, how long does it stay slipped?

I have plenty of old GPS units.  I'm a bit surprised I haven't noticed
something like that.  Maybe I'm not looking hard enough and/or in the right
place.

> In a case where the *only* thing you can trust is the GPS, filtering isn’t
> going to do much good.

You also have the CPU crystal.  It's not good for long term stability, but
shouldn't have any troubles holding to a ms over several seconds.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.