[time-nuts] Modern Rb atomic reference vs classic Cs

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Mar 14 12:30:43 UTC 2020

Hi

Backing off a bit, as long as GPS is doing it’s part ( or your GNSS system of
choice …) an OCXO based setup may do as well as / better than your typical
“almost dead” used Cs standard.

It is very easy to find a used Cs with a dead tube. It is quite hard to find one
with a tube that is fully up to original specs / runs for years. Finding replacement
tubes is ( and always has been) a very involved process. There are way more
used / dead tubes out there than used / working.

Buying a new tube is in the “forget about it” price range. There also is no practical
way to rebuild one. You can do this or that trick to maybe get a bit more time out
of this or that tube … but maybe not.

Thus the pair of dead 5061’s sitting in the basement.

Bob