[time-nuts] HP 106B on Ebay

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sun Mar 22 02:06:08 UTC 2020

I second what Corby says. I have a number of hp 106, starting with one
from eBay in 1999. Quite rare. When they work they are somewhere between
very good and unbelievable. But most have issues. They are all very old
by now and one trouble I've seen is that the double ovens don't work
like they used to, which pretty much ruins their performance.

So when you power it up it's a good idea to continuously log frequency
(10 s gate is ok) for the first day or two and by looking at the
wiggles, slopes, and slope changes, you can tell if the inner and outer
oven are working right, or if one is dead, or if due to old age they are
fighting each other.

The daily ageing rate should slow down gradually. At some point (maybe
months) environmental effects will exceed the ageing rate. These
standards were meant to be powered up forever, in laboratory conditions.
I had one that was far better than rubidium or cesium short-term, and
almost rivaled rubidium long-term. It died of oven failure.

Some photos, warm-up, and long-term plots:

http://leapsecond.com/museum/hp106a/

http://leapsecond.com/museum/hp106b/

If you have questions feel free to ask us on- or off-list. And again, if
at all possible collect data from the very first power-up.

/tvb