[time-nuts] Noise Floor

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Mar 24 15:54:03 UTC 2020

Hi

> On Mar 24, 2020, at 10:01 AM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
>
> Hoi Bob,
>
> I see you got your hands on a PhaseStation. Color me jealous! :-)

If you recall all my grumbles, back in a bit I mentioned my pile of
ever more broken test gear. Keeping it all in repair had become so
time consuming that nothing else was getting done. A secondary
issue was the sort of bench space things like a three corner setup
with HP 3048 era gear takes up …..

> The noise floor data is impressive! For reference: Expensive DMTD
> systems for metrological applications are usually at 1e-13 @ 1s
> and a lot more expensive.
>
> I see I have to pester John more on how he designed the PhaseStation.
>
> One intersting thing to note is, that the noise floor does not have
> an exactly 1/τ slope. Which suggests that some additional effect
> of higher order is affecting the measurement. This can be seen from
> the phase data, which shows a quite prominent kink around 50ks and
> is (almost?) linear before and after. It would be interesting to
> know what caused this.

(which is why I included the phase data ….)

The mixer was hooked to the inputs with some pretty good / short microwave
cables. They both are as identical as Pasternack Enterprises could make
them. The guys at Mini Circuits did their best to deliver a splitter (via eBay).
None the less, they are by no means perfect. My guess is that the bump is an
artifact of temperature change / mechanical relaxation  on either the cables or
the splitter.

I ran similar “floor” data on a TimePod back when I had one at work. My
vague recollection is that it did not go quite as far before “ripples” set in.
Since that was with different cables / splitter / environment it’s not clear
how they would compare directly. On the TimePod data run I could fairly
easily map the ripples to the changes in room temperature.

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 08:03:31 -0400
> Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>
>> One of the nice things about devices that work like a DMTD is that measuring
>> the floor is a matter of driving the two inputs through a power splitter.
>> With a single mixer setup (which *is* much easier to build) the floor is not
>> as simple to estimate. The same is true of some (but not all)  counter based
>> setups.
>
> Be careful here. DMTD and DMTD-like systems have a dependence of the noise
> floor on the relative phase of the input signals. With the lowest noise floor
> being at when both signals have the same phase. To trully assess the noise
> floor, you have to shift the relative phases through 2π, while making sure
> that the phase shift, however you implement it, does not degrade the signal.
> And because you are shifting the singal, that the short term noise on the
> signal is lower than the noise floor of the measurement system (in laser
> systems is called the correlation length).

Yup, but at least you *have* a way to do it…..

Bob