[time-nuts] Noise Floor

Gerhard Hoffmann ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Tue Mar 24 22:05:36 UTC 2020

Am 24.03.20 um 20:06 schrieb Attila Kinali:

> If you want an SDR like system to play with, try the

Red Pitaya?

You get 2 ADC channels 125MHz/14Bit or 128.x MHz/16 Bit,
2 DAC channels, 2 ARM CPUs, Network etc and it boots Linux when
you plug in an USB power supply. It has existing apps such as scope,
vector network analyzer, Bode plotter, ham radio etc - and the
software as well as the web server that presents the results to
your browser is open.
It's fun to watch tuning S21 of a filter in Firefox. :-)

With 2 boards one could do the whole cross correlation thing,
with at least the 2 ADC pairs completely isolated.
<  https://www.redpitaya.com/Catalog   >
Prices are reasonable.

While I'm at it:

Is there a _done_ solution to expand a Timepod to
~ 100 MHz, narrow-bandish is OK. I'm willing to solder,
but I'm not ready for yet another development project.
Not now.

When I've flushed my project pipeline, I might consider
something serious with JESD-204B ADCs and such.
That would require a larger FPGA with GTX transceivers
and maybe a Beaglebone as a controller.

cheers, Gerhard

<JaberWorky> The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
throw DARK chocolate at you.

Does Zuerich have a good part? That's news! No one threw
chocolate at me. Driving in the inner city of Berlin in
the rushhour is the pure relaxation in comparison.
Never ever again!  =8-(   )