[time-nuts] Accuracy results with Trimble Thunderbolt?

Frank time at inkbox.net
Wed Mar 25 20:44:26 UTC 2020

Big thanks to Attila, Frank, and Taka for your responses to my questions
on my Trimble Thunderbolt.

I'm inclined to follow Taka's advice and reset the antenna elevation
mask angle with LH's FE command to something between 10 and 20 degrees.
I'm guessing that this is entered in degrees (i.e. "15"), but I can't
find anything in the LH documentation to verify this, so if it's wrong
I'm happy to be corrected. Also, as noted I set the satellite signal
level mask to 1 with LH's FL command, but short of doing a full reset of
the Thunderbolt I'm having trouble figuring out what the default value
is for this.

I appreciate Attila's and Frank's suggestions on topics to study such as
Allan deviation to dip more toes into metrology. I've started in on
this, though I imagine it will take a while to work through. For now, I
wanted to throw out one follow-up question. I see that ADEV diagrams
plotting Allan deviation against time seem to be a primary tool for
evaluating GPSDO performance. If I wanted to compare the Thunderbolt to
another GPSDO (for example, I also have a Bodnar unit), is there
software not wildly beyond a hobbyist budget that would allow me to
compile and display similar data?

Thanks again,

Frank