[time-nuts] Noise Floor

kb8tq at n1k.org kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Mar 25 21:21:49 UTC 2020

Hi

Gain without an input termination will very much depend on the source you are driving it from. With a
"proper" 50 ohm source, the gain will be 6 db high without the input resistor. If it's got more gain than
that, your source is not 50 ohms. There are a lot of OCXO's out there that are not "true" 50 ohm sources.

Input termination or not depends a *lot* on what you are going to use it for. In my case, I'm after a high
input impedance to low output impedance conversion. I need to deal with some gear that was made back
before 50 ohms was "how it's done".

Bob