[time-nuts] Noise Floor

kb8tq at n1k.org kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Mar 26 17:11:12 UTC 2020

Hi

Ok so here's a "new" part as opposed to one that is many decades old. Again
this is a part that has been talked about
more than once on the list. The demo board is an early one, but I assume it
is representative of how the CMOS output
part you get today works.

There are two runs. The first pretty clearly shows the part warming up. The
second still shows temperature effects,
they just are not as obvious. If you *really* need to hit < 1x10^-15 at 100
seconds with this part, drafts are not a good thing.

The part is being driven with 4 dbm at 5 MHz. Max input is rated as 10 dbm
so that's not as nutty as it sounds. 5 MHz ( or
even 10 MHz) is well below the design target for this part. There's not a
lot on the datasheet to compare to. As with the previous
part, ADEV is pretty good (out to 100 sec). Phase noise is not in the 10811
class wideband. If you need low wideband phase noise
as a logic signal at 5 MHz, you need to do something different. For ADEV,
this will do just fine.

Bob