[time-nuts] Crystal filters in test equipment

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Mar 26 23:47:44 UTC 2020

Hi

Narrowband filters have significant amounts of delay. Any change in that delay (like from
temperature or ……) will phase modulate the oscillator. Conventional wisdom these days
is that your ADEV will be better without the filter.

Phase noise wise, you can only get just so close to the … errr …. noise floor. That moves
you in the direction of a filter that can handle a bit of power. That takes you out of the “cheap
filter” part of the world ….

Bob