[time-nuts] HP5065A reversing the C-field ?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat May 2 17:25:31 UTC 2020

Hi

A few possible complications:

I suspect you would run into bits and pieces of “stuff” that had
slowly been magnetized inside the C field ( think of things like
component leads). Just how they would impact things depends a
bit on how fast they respond to the change. ( = you have both external
and internal stray fields).

If you look at the C-field reversing telecom Rb’s, they pay a penalty
for doing it. They get a noise hump at the reversing frequency. Is this
a “must have” or simply the best they could do? No way to know
without a lot of work trying to do better.

Finally there is a really tiny effect due to the C field not being linear.
The frequency shifts more per ma of change at 6 ma than at 2 ma.
As you did the reversal, there would be a ever so slightly greater
sensitivity in the direction the fields added.

http://www.wriley.com/Rubidium%20Frequency%20Standard%20Primer%20102211.pdf <http://www.wriley.com/Rubidium%20Frequency%20Standard%20Primer%20102211.pdf>

Has the details of how and why this happens.

=======

All that said, nope, never done it. However I’m about to tear into the C
fields of the ensemble here in the next couple days. I can put it on the
“to do” list.

There is … ummm …. anecdotal evidence that the mag shield on the
5065 is less than “the best of the best of the best”. That’s based on
various conversations back in the mid 1980’s.

In a fixed location, I’m not sure how much this matters. If you move your
5065 around, then indeed it would matter. (along with a bunch of thermal
issues …).

Bob