[time-nuts] GPSDO advice

Wes wes at triconet.org
Sun May 3 00:34:48 UTC 2020

The seller and the PO did a yeoman job and the device arrived at 1 PM this
afternoon.

It turns out to be a date code 2019-08-03 instead of the pictured 2018 unit.  A
pleasant surprise, but not the latest which is (I think) 2019-10-20.

This one still says, "GPS Disciplined Oscillator", the newer one says, "GNSS
Disciplined Oscillator."

The OCXO is a CTS, labeled "970-2178-46". The receiver is unlabeled.

I powered it up and it indicated lock in about 10 minutes using the supplied
puck antenna on the workbench inside the house (concrete exterior walls.)    For
comparison, the TAPR Kit M12+ Oncore receiver located a couple feet away with a
similar antenna situation shows lock on only three satellites using LH)  That
said, the only way I have to evaluate it is with the BG7TBL FA-2 counter with a
Bodnar reference that has been running for weeks.  It's continued to drift for
over two hours and now has approached 10 MHz but is still wandering around 4-5
mHz with respect to the Bodnar.  Which is correct is anyone's guess.

I guess the next project should be to get the external antenna mounted and
splitter installed so everything is using the same source.

Wes