[time-nuts] an interesting timing problem

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Wed May 6 20:53:52 UTC 2020

On Wed, 06 May 2020 12:00:02 -0400, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com
wrote:
Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 190, Issue 10

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 07:00:51 -0700
> From: jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net>
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> 	<time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
> Subject: [time-nuts] an interesting timing problem
>
> Given that there's a lot more people spending time zooming, webexing,
> teaming, skype, facetime, etc. these days, I'm curious if anyone has
> figured out to *quantify* the issues of lag, desynchronization, etc.
>
> How would one go about instrumenting it (without access to the source
> code or servers involved)?
>
> There's two areas of some interest to me:
> 1) there's several studies that say that when voice and image aren't
> perfectly synchronized, particularly if it's not a consistent delay, or
> if there are gaps and jumps, that it is more stressful and creates a
> cognitive workload that does not exist with actual in-person meetings
> (the "why am I more tired after a day of telework than the real thing")
>
> 2) If you wanted to do group music playing or singing, relative timing
> among the streams is critical.  Is there a threshold where it all breaks
> down?  For instance, in an orchestra or choir, one has visual cues from
> the conductor, but most people do not sing or play using the conductor
> as a metronome triggering the next measure's notes. They also listen to
> the players around them (or perhaps on the other side of the stage, some
> 30-40 milliseconds late)
>

> I can think of ways to "test" a given teleconferencing system (blinking
> LEDs in a pattern, tone bursts on audio), but I think there's some
> challenges in things like compression algorithms (do they have constant
> latency?) and highly structured test signals might not measure the same
> as actual video and audio.
>
> I will note that there are subjective difference among the various
> tools, and there's differing effects from compression artifacts and
> bandwidth/packet transport.

I recall digging into this some time ago for audio, in particular
music, and found the answer in the Computer Music (meaning synthetic
music) literature.  There was a founding book, but I don't recall the
details, and things have probably evolved since then.

As I recall, if the time offset between instruments exceeded something
like 20 milliseconds, the error became audible.

Joe Gwinn