[time-nuts] advice sought on basic gpsdo

Robert LaJeunesse lajeunesse at mail.com
Fri May 8 23:33:09 UTC 2020

While I'm no expert at time, or Arduino yet, the first thing I would look at is getting the bootloader to run with not 16MHz, but a 10MHz clock. Not having looked at it I don't know if it requires modifying and re-flashing, but it might. Now the VCTCXO can clock the Arduino and the Arduino IDE would work unmodified. Code the Arduino chip to lock the VCTXCO to GPS 1PPM, and you can accurately keep time of day in RAM. As long as you have a valid battery backup 5V supply just detect the loss of 1PPM (or GPS signal) and freeze the VCTXCO control voltage. With some effort the clock can auto-set itself from the GPS when the GPS is in a good state. Not simple coding, but doable.

Bob L.