[time-nuts] Quality of timing mode GPS vs survey accuracy

Ole Petter Ronningen opronningen at gmail.com
Sat May 9 07:45:18 UTC 2020

Just to add one datapoint to the discussion, I am presently looking at a
professional grade receiver ($20k+++), tracking GPS/GLONASS/GALIELO/BEIDOU,
44 sats total as I type this. It reports standard deviation of the XYZ
coordinates of 0.76m, 0.44m and 1.3m respectively. It is not crystal clear
how this std is calculated, but I can only guess it is the std off x number
of positions calculated on a per-epoch basis.

Granted, the antenna I am using is *highly* suspicious, but it seems to
track most signals with a decent SNR.

The point of this is that even a *great* receiver can only get you so far.
Some form of averaging must take place, either in the receiver itself (as
is done with survey mode and "position hold") or externally (as is done
with PPP).

As I understand it. in the former case with a fixed position, the std
quoted above will give an indication of the short term noise in the time
pulse - which we already know to be horrible, and which the GPSDO is rigged
to filter out. Multipath is a bigger issue, since the "moving average" of
the receiver can/will skew the position appreciably in a 24 hour period.

(And then ofcouse ionosphere and related cans of worms.)

Ole