[time-nuts] Alfred Loomis - an early time nut

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed May 13 06:23:38 UTC 2020

--------
In message <f0aa7386-c8dd-633d-4da6-dc7db186750f at LeapSecond.com>, Tom Van Baak writes:

>Besides being the man behind LORAN, and a hundred other clever ideas, he
>also pushed the state of the art in timekeeping, comparing the world's
>best pendulum clocks against the best quartz clocks:

While was instrumental in many ways for LORAN, calling him "the man
behind LORAN" is probably overselling it a bit, as most of the
actual work was done by J. A. Pierce.

As far as I know, it is not even clear if Loomis got the idea for
hyperbolic navigation himself or if he had heard rumours about
Dippy's work in the british 'Gee' system.

Some years back I saved a copy of JAP's unofficial biography, and
when it later disappeared from the web, I put it in a corner of
my own homepage:

	http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc/jack_pierce.html

It's a good read.