[time-nuts] measuring timing variation in a web conference.

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu May 14 20:41:04 UTC 2020

A practical data source has become available for me to look at.
The lab had a virtual town hall, and one of the senior managers has a
pendulum clock in the background. And, there were obvious drops in the
video stream, because the pendulum would "jump" (it was commented on by
viewers - "That stuttering clock was driving me crazy" )

I doubt the clock is actually pendulum regulated (it has the look of an
art clock, probably battery driven).

It also brought up how good humans are at spotting slight irregularities
in an otherwise regular motion. It's one of those hardwired
capabilities, it's useful, whether you are prey or predator.