[time-nuts] OCXO Support Board

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu May 14 21:07:07 UTC 2020

Hi

Well, a full list of all the rules we ran against would run about 10 pages. I think
that’s getting pretty far off topic for TimeNuts. I also, quite frankly never bothered
to memorize them all.

A few examples of what one *might* do:

1) “Allow” a violation. Things like courtyard overlaps often are non-issues. A fancy
program would let you “allow” ( = suppress ) the error once you checked it out.

2) Zone based rules. The region under a BGA may be very tight in terms or clearances.
The rest of the board likely will not be. Having rule zones helps deal with this.

3) Silk screen / mask rules. Getting the silk screen so it either shows right or is suppressed
is a pretty basic process. Doing it manually is a major pain. Indeed a number of “pro”
packages have the same issues.

4) Extras. Duplicate holes should not get into the drill file. Dangling trace bits should be
spotted and flagged……..

Yes, this could go on and on.

No, the cheap board houses don’t check for this stuff. They just build and send it
back. If there’s a gotcha, you get it on the board.

Bob