[time-nuts] f-multipliers from VHF to 10 GHz

ed breya eb at telight.com
Fri May 15 22:54:59 UTC 2020

Bruce wrote

Macom also do NLTL comb generators which are much quieter than SRDs:
https://www.macom.com/products/product-detail/MLPNC-7100-SMA850

Wow, those are nice. I've studied and searched for NLTLs over the years,
and found all sorts of research papers about making monolithic ones, but
not such a finished piece that you can order up and go - even though
these may have been around for some time. I've even considered trying to
build some discretely and experiment, but got dissuaded when I found out
how many compression stages are needed for meaningful results. I think
that's why the research was all geared toward making them in integrated
form, where you can get lots of similar items repeated in tiny form. I'd
guess that these may have 20-100 stages, or maybe nowadays it can be one
continuous line with spatially variable characteristics..

It's cool to see, but probably quite spendy - I'd guess 2 grand or more.
I tried to find out the price looking at a distributor, but it's a
special order, call for quote type deal. I'm sure it's quite a few dB$
above what I can justify for any of my projects.

Ed