[time-nuts] potential low-RFI power supply

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Mon May 18 17:19:13 UTC 2020

On Mon, 18 May 2020 12:00:02 -0400, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com
wrote:
Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 190, Issue 30

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 12:53:42 -0600
> From: Eric Scace <eric at scace.org>
> To: Time Nuts email list <time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
> Subject: [time-nuts] potential low-RFI power supply
>
> Pro Audio Engineering announced a sale (through Friday) on its
> nominal 14 Vdc 4A switching supply
> <https://proaudioeng.com/products/pae-kx33-low-rfi-ac-power-supply/>.
> The test results
> <https://proaudioeng.com/products/pae-kx33-low-rfi-ac-power-supply/>
> webpage compares noise on the DC output and noise frequency spectrum
> under a variety of conditions with a lead-acid battery, an Astron
> linear supply, and a variety of switching supplies from other
> manufacturers.
>
> I have not used this and can?t vouch for its performance. Given
> recent discussions here on supplies, the analysis might be
> interesting. At least the supplier has attempted to quantify the
> performance of its power supply and make that information available
> to the prospective purchaser.
>
> It would be interesting to see comparable (or more suitable)
> measurements made by others posted here.

Given that this power supply is intended for audio applications such as
mixer boards, if the switching frequency exceeds say 200 KHz, none of
the ripple spurs will matter, as they are far above the band.  Hmm.
Unless that get too close to the sampling rate of some delta-sigma
converter I suppose.

Joe Gwinn