[time-nuts] time sync by moonbounce

Jeremy Nichols jn6wfo at gmail.com
Sat May 23 15:19:30 UTC 2020

Sufficiently interesting that I bought a paper copy through Abebooks. Looks
like a somewhat later version, author given as Douglas Mudgway, title
“ Uplink-Downlink:
A History of the Deep Space Network 1957-1997.” “Oversized,” 674
pages. Abebooks
lists a couple dozen copies in both hardback and paperback at prices from
reasonable to ridiculous, as is usual for bookstores.

Jeremy

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 3:47 AM ew via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
wrote:

> This is a must read. Could not put it down, JPL, NASA,  Eisenhowe,r did
> learn a lot at the same time fascinating
> Bert Kehren
> In a message dated 5/22/2020 10:36:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> jimlux at earthlink.net writes:
>
> Apparently, they used moonbounce between DSN stations to synchronize to 5
> microseconds in 1968. It was easier and cheaper than flying cesium clocks
> around. (And the Rb standards weren't good enough).
> https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19770007245
> History of DSN - mostly about politics, history, transmitters and
> receivers, but a whole section on timekeeping, phase measurements, etc.
> starting around page 133 (The DSN Inherent accuracy project), and the
> discovery during Mariner that UTC and UTI were different enough to cause
> nav errors.

Jeremy Nichols
Sent from my iPad 6.