[time-nuts] A simple sampling DMTD

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Fri May 29 16:06:41 UTC 2020

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 01:01:34 -0500, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com
wrote:
Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 185, Issue 1

---------------------------------

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 12:23:07 -0500
> From: Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net>
> To: time-nuts at lists.febo.com
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] A simple sampling DMTD
>
> Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 184, Issue 40
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 20:37:02 -0500, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> Message: 6
>> Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 20:37:16 +0100
>> From: Gerhard Hoffmann <dk4xp at arcor.de>
>> To: time-nuts at lists.febo.com
>> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] A simple sampling DMTD

[snip]
> The fundamental problem to be solved is to estimate the phases of two
> beatnotes, one per channel (ref, signal under test), the phase
> difference being converted into a relative time delay.  So, we are
> estimating phase twice, against an unknown but common internal
> reference, and the key question here is how best to measure those two
> phases.  Detection of zero crossings is one way, but there are others.

FYI, while looking for something unrelated, I recently ran across a
relevant article from the NIST of Japan, published in 2007:

"Frequency-Stability Measurement System Using High-Speed ADCs and
Digital Signal Processing", Ken Mochizuki, Masaharu Uchino, and Takao
Morikawa, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INSTRUMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT, VOL.
56, NO. 5, OCTOBER 2007, pages 1887-1893, Digital Object Identifier
10.1109/TIM.2007.895588.

This can be implemented using a modern Software Defined Radio system.

No zero-crossing detecter is used.  Computation of the time difference
is detailed in reference [16] therein:

[16] M. Uchino and K. Mochizuki, "Frequency stability measuring
technique using digital signal processing," Electron. Commun. Jpn.,
vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 21–33, 2004.   IEEE Xplore has it.

Searching for Uchino et al led me to the following:

"Oscillator metrology with software defined radio, Jeff A. Sherman and
Robert Jördens (of NIST),  Review of Scientific Instruments 87, 054711
(2016); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4950898.  (Open version:
<https://arxiv.org/pdf/1605.03505.pdf>)

Joe Gwinn