[time-nuts] frequency combs prices (was: Cs tube pics)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Nov 3 08:33:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 17:38:23 +1100
Michael Wouters <michaeljwouters at gmail.com> wrote:

> > If i were able to build a working optical clock, i would just buy
> > a frequency comb. The 10k€ for a comb would be cheap compared to the
> > money spend on the rest of the clock :-)
>
> Hmm, not sure what you're looking at, but I have a commercial erbium
> fibre comb in my lab and it cost 250 000 Euro. There are two full
> height 19 inch racks full of electronics. It has an extra output for
> 1000 to 2000 nm though, so you could probably knock 50K off the price
> for that.

Interesting.... The 10k was the price I was told, when I asked
a couple of stupid questions at last EFTF. But maybe those weren't
octave spanning combs, which would be required for such an application.

> Another interesting data point: some people I know in a national
> measurement lab built and sold a Cs fountain to another lab. The price
> was US 2 million and I'm guessing that was "mates' rates".

I would guess so too. 2 mio sounds rather cheap for such a device
and considering that all parts are hand made and assembled by expensive
grad students and even more expensive senior researchers.

				Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.