[time-nuts] Ashtech Z12T

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 19:42:02 UTC 2018

Hello

There are many alternatives to the Z12T. It all depends on your budget. I
am guessing that you want to establish legal traceability to your local
UTC, is that right?

Starting at the top end, you can buy complete systems from Dicom and
Piktime. These cost about $25K and $40K respectively. These are
multi-frequency, multi-GNSS systems.

There are also some cheaper, single frequency systems (GPS only)  available
too, from a company in Japan and one in the U.K. Just search for "time
transfer system".

Some NMIs in countries like Canada, Australia, Japan, ... offer remote
calibration services of the kind you want to set up. These  are too far
away for common view but I suppose all in view would be the method in this
case ( you would still have traceability to your UTC via the CIPM Mutual
Recognition Agreement). Costs are something like $5K per year, in addition
to the hardware.

You can just buy a shiny new time-transfer receiver like the Septentrio
PolaRx5TRPRO with a geodetic antenna for about $20K. These are the most
popular in the timing community at the moment. But other receivers like
Javad and Trimble are good too.

If single frequency performance is good enough, and you're willing to do a
bit of work setting up software, then the really low cost solution is
something like the software from www.openttp.org
The main receiver supported, the NVS NV08C is less than $100. You can get
accurate antenna positions from this receiver in a base rover
configuration. All the rest is post processing and there are various
options here. You will also need a counter/timer and the low cost solution
here is the TAPR TICC, which is also supported by OpenTTP.

Cheers
Michael